Saturday, September 7, 2013

The Intentional Home, Week Three: Saturday

For an Introduction and Table of Contents for The Intentional Home, click Here.

Week Three: Saturday

Let the sea resound, and everything in it,
    the world, and all who live in it.
Let the rivers clap their hands,
    let the mountains sing together for joy;
let them sing before the Lord,
    for he comes to judge the earth.
He will judge the world in righteousness
    and the peoples with equity.
Psalm 98:7-9


Here’s another Saturday chore that may or may not apply to you. The focus of this task is clearing the clutter from any outside areas around your house. If you have young kids, then chances are they’ve dragged toys outside and cluttered up your yard. I removed three bags of toys from the backyard a few months ago and the kids didn’t even notice. As I gaze out my back window, it appears that I need to do it again. This job will be different for each of us as we all have different outside spaces, if any at all. 

You might also want to look how you can create an inviting outdoor living area or just somewhere to sit and enjoy the great outdoors. I don't live on the beach or have a fabulous view, but I can still create a space that provides comfort and rest for my soul. I can still find contentment right where I am or in other words "bloom where I'm planted"!

I recently envisioned a comfortable space on my back porch to relax and read a book while the kids play or visit with friends. Of course, I could've gone shopping and accomplished this by spending some money, but I really wanted to see if I could just use what I had and still create that space. So armed with a couple of cans of spray paint, I created the space that I could enjoy with what I already own.


Your first goal here is to clear any clutter in your outdoor areas. If you have a patio or yard where you can create a sitting area, then focus on that area. Of course, a potted plant would be nice to add some life to that space. If you do have an outdoor table or seating, spend some time scrubbing them down with a brush or sponge, a bucket of some warm water mixed with dish soap or vinegar. This would be an ideal task for Springtime. 

Daily Chores: 
One load of laundry from start to finish
Make your bed
Unload the dishwasher in the morning, load and run it at night

Wipe down the kitchen counters and sink

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy and appreciate reading your comments!