Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Not My Finest Moment


Let me tell you a little story about the day I completely lost my cool. Yes, I am assuming I had some "cool" to start with. It was a little over three years ago when I was in full on potty-training mode with my two and a half year old daughter and just adjusting to life with the addition of our baby boy. Let me say, going from one kiddo to two really rocked my little world, perhaps I wasn't thinking too clearly.

Well, on that fateful day, sweet little Haley, had just had one too many potty-training accidents on her carpeted bedroom floor. I'd like to say, I acted completely on impulse, but the fact is I had enough presence of mind to walk into my bedroom and Google "How to remove carpet?" The answer was: "start at the corner and pull hard." I proceeded to walk back to her room, move her toddler bed and a few other things into Harrison's room (my poor girl was so confused) and that's when I followed the instructions and went to the corner and pulled hard. I was actually surprised at how easily the carpet came up. Then, I had a few problems, there is no way I could move the dresser in her room, and I had no idea what to do about the doorway. Let's just say I really had no idea what I had gotten myself into.

I thought this would make me feel better, but instead I went from a little stained carpet to a really big mess. Not to mention, my hubby had no idea what I had done. When Matt came home, I showed him the mess I'd made and his response was, "You understand I can't fix it this weekend?" He even said, he had been thinking about putting wood floors in the bedrooms, but wasn't quite ready to tell me. He knows if I get an idea in my head, I'd want it done yesterday. You have to admit, that is a pretty understanding husband! So, after about two or so weeks of Haley living with concrete floors, we installed our new wood floors in the rest of the house....and boy did they look great!

What was the point of telling you this story? Well, it's definitely good for a laugh, but really I just wanted all the mommy's out there feeling overwhelmed to know that they are not alone. We've all been there, let's face it, you have the hardest and most rewarding job on the planet. Extend yourself some grace and enjoy the crazy ride!

2 comments:

  1. That's too funny. We had our carpets cleaned last fall and the guy brought out that creepy CSI black light. It was able to show all the spots where our dog had peed and we missed it. Ariel's bedroom was hideous. ICK!!! He assumed it was our dog. You should've seen his face when I told him it was our potty training 2yr old and her potty training 2yr old friends. I guess I could've just pulled up the carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! I am not advocating ripping out carpet by any means, ha! I made such a mess, I still cringe at what I did!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy and appreciate reading your comments!