Thursday, April 7, 2011

Off the Grid


Well, off the grid may be stretching it a little or perhaps a lot, but we have been living without cable television for about two years now. To be fair, we do still have an antenna, so we pick up the local digital channels. But, other than PBS Kids shows or Qubo, the television is rarely on. This is saying a lot from a girl who had a line up of shows I watched every night of the week.

Originally, when we decided to pull the plug on cable, it was just a way to save money. Hubby would say HGTV was putting to many ideas in my head (joking here). At first, it was a big adjustment for me, but it didn't take long before I didn't miss it at all. In fact, I started enjoying the freedom of not being "tied down" by television shows.

The state of television is really a sad state of affairs. What happened to prime time family shows, like The Cosby Show? I had become desensitized to well, you name it, getting sucked into the tackiest of reality shows. I know not everything out there is bad. Of course, I will be glued to the television for Master's weekend.

We also just recently started using Netflix for less than $10.00 a month, you have access to all kinds of movies, documentaries and childrens' programs. I am more intentional about what I am going to watch with Netflix, instead of mind-numbingly flipping through channels. But, in our continual effort to simplify our lives, we found that about 13 television stations, verses 200 help in our cause.

1 comment:

  1. I think you're right on, sista. And I think our family is close to getting rid of cable too. I feel so guilty wasting time watching T.V., these days, that I am always fast forwarding through the shows!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy and appreciate reading your comments!