Monday, January 9, 2012

Week One Memory Verses: Colossians 3:1-3

I've never been good about memorizing scripture. When I was a new Christian my first year on the LPGA Tour was probably the last time that I was serious about memorizing scripture. That was 10 years ago, ouch!

When thinking back on that time, I was in a wonderful small group of only three people. We encouraged each other to memorize verses and I was a tad bit competitive, so I wasn't going to be the only one in the group who didn't know their verse that week! I do remember walking down the fairway and reciting the verse in my head. It was a blessing to me to have the Word running through my head.

My pastor is teaching a series about spiritual disciplines. If you haven't already guessed it this week was on memorizing scripture. He gave us a wonderful illustration by playing popular songs that every generation in the congregation would know the words to by only hearing the start of the song. For all the times that I had thought, "I am terrible at memorizing", I realized that was not the truth at all. How many songs do I know the words to, a lot! How many passwords and telephone numbers do I have memorized?

My great friend, Natalie, and I participated in a wonderful study over the book of Colossians in the fall. We were so blessed by this study. During the sermon, our pastor also mentioned that he had been memorizing Colossians 3. I spoke with Natalie and we decided to also memorize Colossians 3 and be accountable to each other.

I thought we might spread it over eight weeks memorizing three verses a week. I have a feeling we could do it faster, but I'm thinking it might be good to only have to add three verses a week, while also continuing it recite what we had memorized the previous weeks. I excited about this new challenge and wanted to invite you to join us!

I will post the verses we are memorizing each week from the New International Version. We would love for you to join us!

Colossians 3:1-3

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 

This is a gift I made for my friend Natalie after we studied Colossians together. It was also my first time using Mod Podge!