Saturday, August 24, 2013

The Intentional Home, Week One: Saturday

For an Introduction and Table of Contents for The Intentional Home, click Here.

Week One: Saturday


See! The winter is past;
    the rains are over and gone.
Flowers appear on the earth;
    the season of singing has come,
the cooing of doves
    is heard in our land.
The fig tree forms its early fruit;
    the blossoming vines spread their fragrance.
Arise, come, my darling;
    my beautiful one, come with me.”
Song of Solomon 2:11-13


So, how does your bedroom feel? Clutter free, I hope! If you need to finish up any of the tasks from the previous day, today’s the day. But, I hope that you don't and we can have a little fun! Let’s decorate! 

Your room should only have a few items that you find lovely or meaningful. I find grouping things in groups of three or one larger item sitting alone to be most appealing to the eye. I've heard always decorate in groupings of odd numbers.

Perhaps you like to have family pictures on your dresser or nightstand? Or a few pieces of pottery? Whatever you find beautiful is all that matters. I really don't believe that one style fits all. We were all created differently and we see beauty differently.

If you don't have anything that you find beautiful in your room then look around your house. I'm always moving things around the house! You may even see something on your kitchen counter that would look cute in your bedroom. Think outside of the box!

Try to shop at home first before you hit any stores. If you are unhappy with your bedspread, that would be the place that I would invest in first. Have fun with this. If you don't feel like you have an eye for design, invite a friend over who enjoys decorating and understands your style. Sometimes it helps to have someone else’s eyes. If you can't think of a friend close by, maybe you can snap some pictures and email them to a friend for advice?

I hope and pray that this week has been successful in starting your journey to creating a peaceful haven.

Yes, I know it’s Saturday, but you will thank yourself later if you keep up your daily chores!

Daily Chores:
One load of laundry from start to finish
Make your bed
Unload the dishwasher in the morning, load and run it at night
Wipe down the kitchen counters and sink 

Cleaning tip: 
Saturday might be a great day to wash towels or something like sheets where if you go off they won't wrinkle if left in the washer or dryer too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy and appreciate reading your comments!