Saturday, September 14, 2013

The Intentional Home, Week Four: Saturday

For an Introduction and Table of Contents for The Intentional Home, click Here.

Week Four: Saturday

Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
Matthew 19:21




This Saturday (or whenever) project will be going into the great unknown, otherwise called your attic, basement or wherever you store things. Did I lose you yet? Hang with me, it’s not going to be that bad, I promise. Here’s why. I want you to spend one hour in that area.

Mainly, you’re just looking for things that you know you will never need again. Maybe these are things that can benefit others or maybe you have a broken lamp up there that your husband seems to thing he will fix someday and it’s really not worth the effort. Anyone with me? Add them to your pile. If you can create a path to walk through, that would be a benefit. Just don’t get overwhelmed and really limit your time. I hope your pile is getting bigger, you’re on your way, now!

Here’s a little something that I wrote when I spend exactly one hour up in the dreaded attic:

The attic really sounded like a big Saturday project, but I didn't have much time to work with. So, I decided to do a quick attic overhaul.

This quick purge and organizing took me exactly one hour, and that is including getting everything loaded in my car. To be fair, I had no interruptions since my daughter was at school and my son was spending the day with my sweet mom. Otherwise, this would have taken a little longer.

I actually do use my attic to store some things I need fairly regularly, like my stash of birthday party gifts and light bulbs. But it was stressing me out every time I went up there. After devoting just one hour to it, I now have room to move. It's not perfect, but I did find a few things I've been needing. I actually saved my self a little money finding some plastic Easter eggs stashed up there and the kids are going to be so excited that I brought down some tennis rackets. If you dare to venture up into your attic, I'll bet you find some treasures you have forgotten about and plenty of things you don't need.

So often, I think we let areas like an attic get so out-of-control because it just seems like such a daunting task to start. That is why I just want you to devote an hour to it. Then, you can come back another day and spend an hour as well. I am becoming more and more convinced that if I have something that can benefit another, why am I holding onto it in my hot attic? Or, you may be able to sell some things for some cash to use for something that your family could be blessed by.

Daily Chores: 
One load of laundry from start to finish
Make your bed
Unload the dishwasher in the morning, load and run it at night
Wipe down the kitchen counters and sink



No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy and appreciate reading your comments!