Thursday, May 9, 2013

Being Christ's Ambassador in my Children's Lives


I'm doing this great little Bible study called Kept: secure in His hands whatever I face. As I was doing today's study, I came across something that jumped out at me: 


"We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making His appeal through us."
2 Corinthians 5:20

Wow, we are Christ's ambassadors! That is profound to think about. So, the question that popped into my mind at that point was, "What am I going to do today to be Christ's ambassador?". As I pondered this, my thoughts immediately went to all the strangers that I would encounter throughout this day as we are traveling to San Antonio. Will I take the time to smile and greet them with kindness?

Then, I started thinking deeper. Yes, I absolutely should be kind and loving toward strangers, but who am I with everyday? Of course, my kids came to mind. Wow, I am really Christ's ambassador in their lives every single day. That is exciting and a little overwhelming.

Thankfully, as I reread today's scripture, God gently reminded me of something very important to being Christ's ambassador in my kid's lives:

"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new had come!"
2 Corinthians 5:17

I am a new creation, I am changed and continue to be changed or edified to be more like Christ. I've felt this and I've seen it especially over the last two years. I am not who I used to be. Yes, I am older and more mature. But, it's more than that, it's God working in my life, changing the very core of me. It's like I am growing up right along with my kids.

This gave me hope for this larger than life task. I can be Christ's ambassador to my kids only because that is what God has called me to be. He will equip me for the job. Yet, I am still human and I will mess up plenty of times. But, as I continue to grow and become a new creation, the fruits of the spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control) will become more of who I am. 

I've seen and felt this as I've gone closer to God, like when I read the Bible in 90 days. I have become more patient and peaceful especially where my kids are concerned. I don't have all the answers on how to be Christ's ambassador in this life, but, thankfully, I know a God who does. And not only that, He has given Himself to me so freely that I may walk daily with Him. That means He is right with me as I am His ambassador. And that, my friends, gives me hope!

Blessings,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy and appreciate reading your comments!