Monday, June 24, 2013

Reading Great Literature with my Children

I've found that one of my favorite times of the day is the evening when my daughter snuggles up in my bed with me and we read a great book together. Now that she is eight, I feel as though I can start exposing her to even more really good literature. She is not to the reading level to read some of these books on her own, but I'm finding that she comprehends and enjoys books above her reading level without any problem.

I'm finding classic literature to have beautiful and challenging vocabulary as well as rich moral lessons. We are currently reading The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis. We've read the Magician's Nephew and we are currently reading The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. We are thoroughly enjoying these books and our time together. I've noticed that she is pondering the books during the day and discussing her observations with me. She actually picked up the entire series at a thrift store for a dollar. She was so excited when she found them!

We are going to work our way through the entire series which will take us some time to finish. She also reads books to her reading level during the day, and I am doing my best to find quality books for her to read as well. The book Honey for a Child's Heart has wonderful book selections for all ages and reading levels of children. It was my first purchase when I began homeschooling Haley this spring. I'm also amazed at how many recommended books are on Kindle for free or $.99! I've added a few to my Kindle that Haley is not quite ready for yet, but they will be there waiting when the time is right like Beautiful Girlhood.

Haley reading a selection from Honey for a Child's Heart
Of course, I am reading to my son as well, and I am also in search of books that will appeal to him as a young boy. I am waiting on my purchase of James Herriot's Treasury for Children: Warm and Joyful Tales by the Author of All Creatures Great and Small. I hope he enjoys this compilation of stories. I've also found a recommended book on Amazon Kindle for free, Tiger and Tom and Other Stories for Boys. The stories are a little over his level of understanding now, but I've read a couple and I'm so pleased with the moral lesson that each offers. 

Trusted mentors in parenting and educating children like Sally Clarkson, Charlotte Mason and Susan Schaeffer Macaulay all express the important role that great literature plays in the developing mind of a child along with time to explore and play. That sounds pretty doable and fun for me as well!

Here are some more resources with great books for the whole family:

Read for the Heart: Whole Books for WholeHearted Families by Sarah Clarkson (Sally Clarkson's daughter)

I hope this helps and encourages you on your journey to bringing great books into your home!

Many Blessings,
Jennifer



No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy and appreciate reading your comments!