Monday, January 27, 2014

Making a Housework Schedule Work for You


I'm no stranger to writing about this topic. I've written several other blog posts about making a cleaning schedule and a rotating "theme" menu, not to mention my ebook, The Intentional Home, leads you through a seven week process into a cleaning schedule. That said, I thought I would write a little encouraging post today on the benefits of a housework schedule, because I think it holds the key to less stress in the home. 

I sat down yesterday and reevaluated my housework schedule and created a new one for our ever-changing lifestyle. The result: I found myself to be much less overwhelmed starting a new week and much more focused and intentional. I even gave myself time to relax and enjoy a movie before getting the kids from school! 

Here is a snapshot of my new housework schedule:

This is really a simple schedule, but it gives me a blueprint of the basic things that I need to accomplish on any given day. Of course, there will be more things that need to get done that don't need to be on the schedule (for me) like dishes, making our bed and the daily messes that just happen with living, but if I stick to this plan then overall my house will stay orderly.

I've added a few new things to this simple schedule from my previous cleaning schedules like challenging myself to a small decluttering project on Mondays. This week I went through the kids schoolwork and sorted it, next week I might tackle the kids clothes and so on. I've added a few chores for the kids, family and personal devotionals and character read alouds for the kids. In addition, I've added daily themes for dinners during the week. I don't have to stick to it, some days I might have leftovers or I may have a pantry cleaning out week, but when I need to plan a menu this can be very helpful.

With a schedule, chores that can be overwhelming feel much more manageable when broken down into a simple schedule. I hope this encourages you to make a housework schedule that works for you! Also, be sure and read my post Putting Heartwork Before Housework, after all, it is the real key to not getting overwhelmed with the daily work of maintaining a home!

Each of you should use whatever gift you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God. If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ. To him be the glory and the power for ever and ever. 
1 Peter 4:10-11

Need a little more encouragement today? Check out this post about Finding True Joy in Doing the Dishes!

Many Blessings,
Jennifer


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy and appreciate reading your comments!