Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Surprise Girl's Room Makeover on a Budget


I have been scheming behind my daughter's back planning a surprise room makeover that was indeed a big surprise, and now I get to share the results with you! I decided it would be fun to surprise Haley with a new room for her birthday. Since she decided to not have a party this year, I could allocate those funds to make a special new room for our special girl.

Here is a before pic:



She has recently branched out from pink and purple to expanding and adding turquoise and lime green to her desired color palette. So, those would be the main colors of the room. I found a great quilt set at Homegoods for $39.00 that had the perfect blend of colors to begin this makeover. The fun pink pillow was a little bit of a splurge at $20.00 from Target. I also found a great sheet set at Target with coordinating colors. I then matched the paint color to the bedding, it is Lowes Valspar Rushing Stream. 

Originally, I was going to paint the daybed lime green, but then I decided to just freshen up the room with a new Malm bed from Ikea. I just wanted the room to have a crisp, clean feel and this bed was perfect.



Since, one of the issues that I had with her room was the amount of nail holes in the wall with her ever rotating art collection, I needed a solution. My goal was to make this room easy to change out the artwork to make it really her own space. These art ledges work great from Ikea and at $12.00 a piece an inexpensive solution.



I also added this rotating art station on the wall adjacent to her closet. She already had the white magnetic board, also from Ikea. I simply bought a couple of cheap clipboards from Target and painted them with spray paint.



I was so excited to find some great free printables online (you can find links to them here on my Pinterest page). I simply printed them out in 8 x 10s and framed them with $10.00 white frames from Ikea. I instituted the help of my friend, Jackie, to make the curtain, I found the fabric at Joanne's.



I also used A LOT of spray paint in this makeover! The color I chose was Valspar Color Radiance Sonic Lime. I spray painted anything that I could find that would work for storage in her room. That meant pulling a couple of old things I had stashed in the garage. I painted the little side table that I picked up at a yard sale for about $5.00 a couple of years ago. The modern lamp is also from Ikea costing about $10.00. The mirror above the bed, also a vintage sale find from a couple of years ago costing about $5.00 was given a new look with the spray paint.




I cleaned up and organized her built in, but probably my favorite addition to this was the chalkboard contact paper that was added to the bottom cabinets. Another aspect to my theme of a changing art collection, that was a big hit and super easy to install. I found it on Amazon, you can see it here. I used some extra to make a label for the once red bin hanging out in my garage!






So, I managed to plan this makeover and keep it a surprise for well over a month. Haley was whisked away after school on Friday to my parents' house while Matt and I made over her room. She came home on Saturday afternoon to her new room. She was shocked and absolutely loved it! I'm so glad that we got her reaction on video! I really do believe it will be a day she will never forget!



Here is her sweet thank you note!



I hope you enjoyed this makeover tour! I sure enjoyed making a little girl's dream come true! 

Many Blessings,
Jenn

4 comments:

  1. Love it !! I think you nailed it - crisp, clean, beautiful, a room to dream in. Colours are so fresh. My little girl is still in the pink and purple stage and has ordered up a pink and white striped wall - Ill sees what I can do!! I recently discovered chalkboard contact paper as well - thought it was just black contact till I got it home - what a bonus. I so enjoy your blog - always something to inspire me - one of the few I subscribe to. So good to see another post at last in my Inbox today. Ive missed them!! Thanks so much Tracey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the sweet and encouraging comment! I had so much fun with this makeover! I really try to only blog when I feel inspired, and I'm never really sure if anyone out there reads it! So your comment really encouraged me! Blessings, Jenn

      Delete

I enjoy and appreciate reading your comments!